On Mar 6, 12:09 pm, Smitty-A-Go-Go <54ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking of riding in a 100k populaire in a couple weeks. I know it's
> not a tremendous distance but it'll be my first rando event and my longest
> ride ever.

cool!

> I plan to do it on my Hilsen... I've got the necessary reflectors, lights
> (battery), fenders, and a small sackville saddle bag + front trunk sack to
> carry stuff.

consider only carrying 1 bag unless the weather is such that you need
to carry extra layers.  avoid the urge to overpack.

> I've got 40mm Marathon Supremes on there now. I imagine I'd be the only one
> with 40mm tires. Not that that's a deal breaker but I've been contemplating
> getting a set of faster tires and this seems like as good a reason as any
> to make a purchase. What sort of tires do people normally ride on such an
> event? I love all the Schwalbes I've had and am tempted to get Kojaks out
> of brand loyalty. I was also eyeing the 32mm Grand Bois Cypress on Jan's
> site. As far as I can tell Jan is the rando guy and I can't imagine he'd
> sell crappy tires.

you're call, but sporty tires are nice to have around, if only for
special events like this.

> What sort of foods do people eat? I'd rather avoid things in the power goo
> and protein pudding food group. I went for a ride with some roadie types a
> few weeks ago and brought dates as my snack. I was keeping up ok before I
> ate the dates but the dates sat heavy in my belly and I became a slug.

stuff that digests quickly and is relatively "light" - i usually reach
for apple sauce, cereals, clif/lara bars, fruit, nuts, pb&j etc.
mostly carbs.  a shot of espresso is nice.  remember that when you eat
is as important as what you eat.  do not carbo load the night before
and do not eat a huge breakfast.

> How extensive of a tool kit do people generally bring on a ride like this?
> I generally carry more tools than I've ever really needed on the road.
> Flats are really my only stop-me-in-my-tracks roadside repair I've had to
> deal with. I'm tempted to minimize the tool kit but don't want to go too
> small.

a tube/patch-kit, multi-tool and spoke wrench.  do a good pre-ride
maintenance check and you'll be set.

> I realize the ride is short enough that I could probably get by doing
> business as usual and get through it but thought I'd solicit advice from
> those who have gone before. Perhaps I could appear more sophisticated than
> I really am. Any thoughts or advice... food, tire, tool, or otherwise... would
> be appreciated.

it's your longest ride, but remember that it's just another ride - the
extra miles aren't going to magically cause you or bike to
catastrophically fail.  ride within yourself and you'll be fine.  have
fun!!