On Mar 6, 8:12 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patrick: why is this so? Again, just asking, not contradicting. One
> reads everywhere that "carbo loading" the night before is the way to
> go and, of course, breakfast is said to be the most important meal.
>
> Can you explain in more detail why you counsel against "carbo loading"
> and a big breakfast?

sure.  the old-school theory/method was actually to deplete energy
stores with heavy exercise and low-carb diet, then tuck into a high
carb diet with large meals the day or two before an event - this was
thought to encourage/maximize energy storage.  but the depletion phase
was hard, especially with the extra training, and big meals don't
always sit well, especially right before an race/event.  tinkering
with diet generally isn't a good thing when you want to feel your
best.  so, this has become a pretty outdated approach.

best practice now is to taper training during the week leading up to
the event and keep a normal diet - just change the composition of the
diet to bring in more carbs 2-4 days before the event.  no extra
calories are needed. I find that small meals throughout the day in the
days leading up to an event is a nice strategy to make sure i'm
getting enough of what i need. after tapering, i've also had good luck
with doing a very short, very intense workout (these are called
"openers") the day before a race/event followed by enough carbs to
refuel/recover.

i usually take breakfast 3 hours before an event - again, normal size,
but carb-centric.   and i might top-off with a bit  apple sauce or
something an hour before start.  doesn't do the body any good to have
a huge meal before setting out for a big effort.

finally, everybody should have a hydration mantra or whatever it takes
to be hydrated before any endurance event.  it is very important.