> Brett,

Learning to accept scratches (to your brooks or bike) is one of the things
in life that you have to come to on your own.  There are a few things you
can do, proofide, saddle soap or obenaufs to try and buff them out, shoe
polish if you want to get more aggresive.  None of them will really return
it to new out of the box but they will lessen the effect.

But really, after a few hundred miles it will all blend in with the wear
from your butt (per Rob).  and if it's any comfort, imagine how i felt when
i got my first scratch in my $200+ berthoud--caused by me too, if you take
your bike out it will happen eventually.  And look at it this way, you'll
never get that characteristically worn in look that old brooks get if you
don't get some scratches into it.