I believe there's a not insignificant portion of the bicycle
enthusiast community who look to ebay, craigslist, swap meets, etc,
first, and only deal with retail bicycle outlets as a last resort. We
certainly see it on the repair end, where people do horrific things to
"fix" minor mechanicals or fit issues, when we might have done it
correctly for free or for a trivial amount of money. There's even a
reluctance to physically bring a bike in for a repair estimate, or
when they do, there's reluctance to confess all the problems they have
with the bike. I think this distrust of brick-and-mortar bike shops
and online bike shops like Riv, have fueled a healthy market for
market prices and even inflated prices on the gray-market.