On Apr 9, 11:29 am, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious to hear from oldsters (ie, older than young-uns like
> myself at a just-turned-57) who ride fixed or ss: how's y'all's knees?

I've had recurring knee twinges for years, since a high school track
injury ended my running days and sent me onto the bike.
I've noticed it a lot more in the last few years -- basically since I
began racing singlespeed -- that my knees, espcially my right knee,
will twinge more often. I noticed it last year when I experimented
with "working out/training to race". While I did lose weight working
out in a gym, and my muscles got stronger, my joints did not. By the
end of short-track season I was ready for the several weeks away from
the singlespeed bike before cyclocross. By mid-November, the
combination of singlespeed racing, thick mud and dropping temperatures
forced me to skip the last four local races of the season because my
knees couldn't handle it.

A cut in hours at work meant the end of the gym membership this winter/
spring. When I pulled out the singlespeed bike to just ride around the
neighborhood, I slapped on a bigger cog in the rear and it still
didn't help. I've ridden the SS bike three times since New Year's, and
I will most likely sell it this spring.

I can't afford knee replacement surgery, so instead I'm listening to
my body and taking preventative steps to insure I'll have these knees
for as long as I can. If that means hanging up racing (and
specifically singlespeed racing/riding), so be it. I had a good run
and I'm ready to Get Mellow.

Beth in PDX, where it's only hilly part of the time.