Interesting conversation. I truly expect that one reason my knees are
still fine is that I ride shorter distances at a time and cumulatively
than many of the rest of you.

My knees were fine on todays minimally extended 40 miler.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Phil Bickford <phi...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Yup, I'm up here in Sonoma County "Getting Mellow," too Beth.
>
> I've got Osteoarthritis in my right knee and to a lesser degree in the
> left, but I used to enjoy fairly good knee health.  There would be the
> occasional need for icing, but I used to joke that a little bit of
> swelling would keep things in place.
>
> My riding ranged from 200 to 300 miles a week in 40-50 mile bites.
> One or two of those rides were fixed gear.  I never could hack the
> offroad single speed thing although the few times I did ride fixed
> offroad were a blast.
>
> My mom has had both her knees replaced and I have spent 25+ years
> working on the floor.  If anything my bike riding helped my knees -
> even the fixed stuff - I never used an outrageously big gear.
>
> My riding now consists of getting around town, and a close-to-daily
> recreation/therapeutic ride of about 1.5-2 hours on flat ground.
> Though initially it was on my singlespeed, I've now got a Sturmey
> Archer B2C kickback hub that seems just right for me.  48/68 gear
> inches provides enough low to get me moving, and enough high to make
> it feel exciting.
>
> I think once I sell off a good portion of my bikes and gear I'll be
> looking forward to getting a Riv Simpleone, or whatever the present
> generation is, provided they build some my size.
>
> Phil B
>
> On Apr 9, 8:00 pm, Beth H <periwinkle...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 9, 11:29 am, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm curious to hear from oldsters (ie, older than young-uns like
>> > myself at a just-turned-57) who ride fixed or ss: how's y'all's knees?

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory