I've never found a rear derailler that couldn't shift any given cogset
-- well, perhaps the old Benelux pull chain one I used on my first
conversion years ago.

That said, I've not used a 10 sp rd, but I have shifted 10 in friction
using Retrofictions -- no problems; quite the contrary, the shifting
was excellent. Old 8 sp era Dura Ace rd.

I have used 10 sp chains on everything from fixed gears through
7/8/9/10 with no problems. However, you might find that an 8 sp
chain's pins extend to far beyond the plates to fit through the
derailleur cages without striking them. Use a 9 or 10 sp chain.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM, RJM <crccpadu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody is using modern 10 speed derailers with friction
> shifting?  I have some Ultegra 6700 derailers and was thinking about
> replacing the aging LX long cage rear on my Sam Hillborne with it.  I may
> replace the Sugino crank and install the Ultegra crank too but don't really
> know about that yet, I'm more interested in using the derailers.  I am using
> Phil Rivy hubs with a 7 speed freewheel in the rear, Sram 8 speed chain and
> shifting using Silver bar end shifters.  Any issues with using 10 speed
> derailers with 8 speed chain or 7 speed freewheel that you can think of?
> (the LX was always a bit too long in the cage area and the gearing I am
> using I can get away with a medium cage like the Ultegra I have so I don't
> see that as too much of an issue.)

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory