On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:37:52 AM UTC-4, Brian Campbell wrote:

> I have an opportunnity to buy a 60cm Specialized Sequoia ($650) in almost
> new condition. My interweb research has let me know that these bikes have a
> dedicated following. I was wondering if anyone here has one and could
> possibly tell me their thoughts about the bike and also, if the price is in
> the ball park?

I'm a faddist, prone to being fickled with bikes.

One winter night, after my first ride on a Specialized Sequoia (mid 80s?),
I turned to the owner and said, "Dan, this is the nicest bike I ever rode."
A few years later, he gave it to me. It rode it for 5-6 years as a fendered
fixie, pretty much daily, preferring it to my other bikes. My friend Phil
bought one new back in the day, and continues to favor it, dreams of taking
it on a trans-continental tour. Those Sequoias have a following, and I read
that the guy who designed them is manufacturing them again. (Someone on the
list undoubtedly knows the details.)

I'm done with fixies for a while, and now like riding a RED mid 1980s
Pinarello Trevisio with Jack Brown greens. Great on trails and on the
road.  During fender weather, I like the Rivendell Custom Road or the
Univega triple butted comfort bike, set up with a huge front rack.

If you have your heart set on a 1980s steel Sequoia, I guess it's worth
$650, and certainly is cheaper than a brand new equivalent bike. It might
benefit from some TLC: perhaps new cables all around (cable technology has
improved in the last 30 years), new rubber, repacking and/or replacing the
bearings all around, saddle, pedals.) Me, I'm more of a bargain hunter. I'd
find something great for half that much, or less, on CL. Plus, yard sale
season is blossoming here in New England. The $5 yard sale pink Univega (60
cm) sport touriing bike I got last year rides much like the Sequoia. I
stopped riding it after a crash, but will getting it going again soon. Just
found a nice Campagnolo front wheel to replace the tacoed one.

Best,
Larry