+1 for the SQR. I've owned at least three, probably more, and have
sold them all after (cyclically) going back to rack+panniers, but I
agree that for a QR mount, for a saddle that does not have saddlebag
strap slots, and for bikes where you need to hold the bag high to gain
more clearance over the rear tire, the SQR is the best solution I've
found.

Note that it does have a 10 kg/22 lb weight limit (per Carradice).
Note also that you can, if you are careful and fastidious about
pulling the straps as tight as you can, easily mount a saddlebag on
the rails of a non-Brooks saddle -- the Hoss on my trike is so mounted
and carries 30 lb loads easily and well.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carradice Barley and the Acorn Boxy Rando Bag are my two main bags.  You can
> fit an amazing amount of stuff into a Barley Bag.  I use mine with the
> Carradice SQR, which I also really like but I think if your bike is tall
> enough with enough seatpost to keep the bag off the fender or tire I  you
> could get along without a support.  Carradice makes a bag support that
> attaches to the saddle rails but I'm not sure if that would work with a
> sprung saddle, and some people have reported difficulty keeping it tight..
>  The SQR attaches to the seat post and is absolutely the quickest on & off
> the bike you can get.  I have an extra seat post attachment so I can move
> the bag between bikes.  Harris Cycles carries all the parts.  BTW, the
> Carradice site could lead you to believe that the SQR goes with an SQR
> designed bag; that's not true, almost any bag with saddle & seatpost straps
> will work.   It does allow some back and forth movement which I notice while
> climbing standing up, but there is no lateral movement at all.
>
> Short answer... a great bag.
>
> Michael
>

> On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:36:31 PM UTC-4, Peter M wrote:
>>
>> Thinking of getting a Carradice Barley saddlebag but wanted to ask if
>> anyone here is running one currently and how they like it. Also do you
>> need a bag support with this thing like the now discontinued Hupe, and
>> will it work with a sprung Brooks like the B72? Thanks to any help
>> anyone can offer.

> For more options, visit this group at

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory