BUT! Jan's hypothesis that skinny tires feel faster because they
vibrate more seems to me to be very questionable. Doubtless when,
after six months, I return to my slightly-sub-18-lb gofast fixie after
riding the 30+ lb Fargo, the 30- trike and the 25lb errand Riv, and
find it "fast," this is due to a myriad of factors that cannot, or
only with more expertise and energy than is worth expending, be
reduced to scientifically identified causes. But (1) it does *feel*
faster; (2) it is no slower in concrete-like reality; and (3) all of
this has absolutely nuthin', repeat nothing, to do with road buzz.

In fact, reducing the question to a crudely empirical estimate of
crank rpm in the higher gear (75" comp to, respectively, 69", 70" and
72"), I *am* going faster. Again, no buzz factor.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> agreed.  Even Jan Heine admits that the perception of speed is far stronger
> than any measurable speed difference in this hair-splitting area.  He rides
> quality fat tires because he knows empirically that they are no slower at
> worst and slightly faster at best.  He concedes that narrow tires feel
> faster despite the measurable fact that they are not.  I remember that every
> time I see a post "I rode those tires for a while, but they were sluggish
> and slow".  19 times out of 20, that's a qualitative judgement, not a
> quantitative one.
>
> I've been tempted to ask Jan since going fast is fun (for the most part),
> but since going slow is safe (for the most part), shouldn't he run skinny
> tires, since they feel fast but are slow?  I know, I'm a jerk, and a smart
> aleck.
>

> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:03:07 AM UTC-7, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
> wrote:
>>
>> MichaelH illustrates how little difference it makes. Three minutes is his
>> largest variation in his 18 mile ride on a variety of different tires with
>> different bikes, and that variation wasn't even reproducible in a second
>> trial. I spent seven years in grad school doing science, so I can see that
>> there are confounding factors in Michael's research that muddy the waters.
>> But his over all consistency from tire to tire and bike to bike suggests (if
>> not proves) that tire differences play much less role than, say, the rider's
>> day to day energy level and attitude, wind direction, and countless other
>> factors. Comparing one lightweight 700x28 tire to another is really
>> splitting hairs.
>>
>> On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:16:05 PM UTC-5, MichaelH wrote:
>>>
>>> Another single data point.
>>>
>>> Along with the post on where the Rambouillet fit in the Riv line up, I
>>> rode an 18 mile loop from my home on my Ram with a pair of Continental GP4,
>>> 23 mm tires.  (A gift).  The course has 900 feet of climbing and includes
>>> 4-5 miles of dirt roads, with the rest equally divided among good pavement,
>>> bad pavement, and atrocious pavement.  After the ride I recorded my time &
>>> subjective impressions (painful).  I also discovered a cut  in the sidewall
>>> of the rear tire, so I decide to replicate the ride with a variety of bikes
>>> and ties.  I rode it twice on my Ebisu with Jack Browns.  The first ride was
>>> 3 minutes slower but the second was identical, although a lot more
>>> comfortable. I rode it once with my Trek & T Serve  (30mm actual).  My time
>>> was right between the faster and slower rides & the comfort just a nudge
>>> below the JB.  Now the wind has shifted around from the south to the west (
>>> it has been blowing at 20 -25 mph, making this very real world test) and the
>>> dirt road has been graded, leaving it's surface full of rocks and loose
>>> sand, so it's really hard going now.  Hard to make comparisons.  I'm in
>>> Boston for the weekend and heavy rain forecasted for next week so this test
> [...]

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory