Brian,
I would slice off a 1x1 square of 400 grit sandpaper, wrap it around the
canti post and work it around like rolling a cigarette.   It won't take
much to make the brake fit.

Jim,   The CR720 such an excellent brake-   the opposite of fiddly and
minimally effective.   How are you setting them up?     Deore V-brakes may
be good but V-brakes are a totally different animal, and not everyone likes
the feel.

-Matt