The CR720 is now standard issue on Cross-Checks and LHTs, which are the two
models we sell most at my shop. I've come to dislike cantilevers in general,
but I don't understand the appeal of this model in particular. I doubt I'm
making any setup mistakes, as I've been setting them up and riding them for
years, and I dislike them equally on bikes set up by others. I find them fiddly
and underpowered. Here's why, maybe.

I guess one person's grabby, unmodulated brake is another's significant
technological improvement in braking. When I switched over from Paul cantis to
my current cheapish Tektro v-brakes on my touring bike, on the first ride, I
had to make a semi-emergency stop when a car pulled out in front of me too
close for comfort. I pulled the brakes with all my ingrained cantilever king-fu
grip, and was startled by how fast I stopped. So I can see how a person who's
accustomed to cantis and, perhaps, read enough Jan Heine and other conventional
wisdom that says v-brakes aren't adequately modulated, would come to the
conclusion that v-brakes aren't adequately modulated based on such an
experience. But if you stick it out with v-brakes and make a few good stops,
your hand recalibrates, and modulation is just fine, ultimate "oh sh!+!"
stopping power is greatly improved, and cantis start to feel like something
from the rod-brake era. Plus v-brakes are cheap and easy to set up - the number
of forum posts here pertaining to v-brake setup issues here is nil, while canti
setup discussions are a near weekly occurrence.

IME, some men and all but the burliest women are unsatisfied with the braking
power of a new, say, Surly LHT with stock cantilever brakes. Now that Tektro
makes long pull aero levers, and v-brakes are excellent even/especially at the
cheap level, it's a $60 upcharge to go to v-brakes on these bikes. We do the
swap more often than not...which means that I have a bunch of cr720 brakes to
sell at swap meets someday!