Ok,

One bit of a tuning issue I'm having with the new bike, thought I'd see
what the group suggests...

Setup:  56 Bombadil 650b frame, 107 SKF BB, with a Sugino XD2 crank
(48/36/24 rings).  Rings clear the frame nicely (more clearance than my Ram
has running a DuraAce Octalink triple).

The front derailleur is a Shimano Deore LX, and I'm using DA 9sp barcons.
The cage on the FD is for a triple, for a 48tooth ring.  It has a good
matching arc, and the tail-end of the cage clears the chainstay, no
problems there.

The problem I'm having is, on the granny ring, and the amount of travel in
shifting (or rather, the zone the derailleur travels when shifting).

I can center it up on the middle ring, and shift up to the big ring, no
problem, back and forth.  But, it's hard to get it to shift all the way
down to the granny.  And, it's really easy to overshift on the upshift,
clean past the big ring and take the chain off the front, dropping onto the
crank arm.

Trying to adjust the tune, cable, set screws, etc., with the derailleur all
the way towards the inside, the cage is just keeping the chain from easily
dropping to the granny.

I'm half tempted, to try to but a bit of a bend into the cage, to get the
bottom of it to sit closer in towards the seat tube; then, have the shift
lever not bottomed out, but moved further in, before I lock down the cable,
so that when I shift up, it runs out of shifting range before it throws the
chain.

Does that make sense?