Well, maybe not literally flying apart, but chain breaks aren't
particularly rare, especially when shifting under load and cross-
chained. It's fairly dangerous too, since the sudden reduction in
normal forces can lead to crashes at inopportune times.

I should clarify that I'm looking at the way the links are joined, and
perhaps I'm a bit paranoid from the routine peening done on main-
stream chains. But the chains are probably more than adequate.