Ted,

Excellent photos.  Glad to have finally met you in person, both at the shop
on Thursday and the ride on Saturday.  Today's part of the ride was another
adventure, but I bailed out before the last serious gravel climb of the
day.  All told, the trip was 80 plus miles with about 20 or so on gravel
roads.  And six water crossings.  In fact, the Red Wing, Minnesota water
crossing today was up about 6 inches from yesterday. Only time I got my
feet wet.

The part Ted rode with us was on multiple back roads in Wisconsin, with
lots of climbing.  We scaled the bluffs twice. And were rewarded by two
amazing downhills.  One at high speed, the other, not so fast, but perfect
road conditions and essentially no auto traffic.  Could have been better.
Saturday night the group that was left stayed in Wabasha, Minnesota, either
camping or at a hotel.  Had a late start this morning, and immediately
began climbing for about 4 miles.  Not the most difficult grade, but
persistent.  Figured it couldn't have been that steep as I didn't use
the small chainring today while on Saturday my Sam Hillborne used all of
the 21 gears available.  The views from the road was fantastic and the
descent into Lake City, MN was exciting to say the least.  Topped out at
37mph which is the fastest the SH has done with a camping load.  After a
stop, wound up on another country road that turned to gravel, and then back
to pavement.  After a bit of decisionmaking near Frontenac, decided I would
ride back to Red Wing by way of Highway 61.  A decent paved road, but with
heavy traffic on a weekend.  The rest of the group ended up heading over to
Hill Ave to climb another bluff on a gravel road with a pretty serious
descent.  (Have done the road in the past and didn't feel up to it today.)

Highlights of my ride back included seeing a number of deer, including one
doe and fawn at the corner where Hill Ave. dumps back onto 61.  We also saw
an immature bald eage with a fish fly directly above us in Lake City.  Was
also great to meet a few other folks and just have a great bike riding
weekend.

My pictures are here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14126468@N05/sets/72157630035172498/

Eric Platt