I'm running the M751 med-cage GS right now on my Rawland with a 12-36
cassette.  It has a lot to do with the geometry of the rear drop out as
well.  If the dropout holds the rear derailer really close to the axle of
the rear hub, then the published max is pretty accurate.  If the drop out
holds the der a little farther away, then you can go 2 teeth bigger without
a problem.  In my experience, vertical dropouts allow you to push it.
 Campy style horizontal dropouts do not.