Ah yes.  I should had thought about that.  I've spent my 20+ years on a
bike blissfully free of the horrors of index shifting.

I met Mr. White with a nice woman I assume is his wife at the Indiana
NAHBS.  A bike I am putting together this fall will have a White crank,
bottom bracket and freewheel.  I would have built it with a White rear hub
as well (front hub will be a SON28) but I have a Royce hub and do not want
to waste it.

Cyclists are lucky to have companies such as White, Paul, Nitto, Berthoud
and Royce.  I hope they all managed to keep going for many years to come.