I don't think I've ever had that response, but last weekend supplied a
pair of interesting comments on the Mariposa.

I did a century out of Newburg, WI and on the first leg a much
stronger rider on a rather pretty piece of plastic commented on how
nice my bike looked as he went by me.  I caught up with him at a rest
stop and got a chance to look at his bike a bit more - the N logo was
very discrete and I'm still trying to remember what brand he said it
was (I don't think it was spelled out anywhere on the bike.)

At a later stop an older guy who had been chasing me for a while
commented that I was getting along pretty good on that old bike.  He
was riding what looked to be an early 90's Trek - probably close to
ten years older than my bike :)

Fun ride and I never noticed the weight of my bike (unlike the weight
of my person.)  Mostly the stronger riders on organized rides seem to
like the look of my bike even if they think of it as a bit of an
anachronism.

-Ken