Not to rehash old arguments, but cantilevers have a lot going against them
compared to linear-pulls. Obviously, cantilevers have more history and have
cemented a certain nostalgic/aesthetic following, and there's nothing wrong
with favoring that if that's your position. IMO the "modulation" argument is
overblown/nonsense and mostly thrown in as a function-based argument by those
who really just prefer the nostalgia/aesthetics of cantilevers. To each his or
her own, but whenever I ride or work on a bike with cantilevers, I feel that
v-brakes would be an improvement in ease of set-up and adjustment, and in
stopping power to hand-strength ratio.

Anecdote: after years with cantilevers, my first hard stop with v-brakes was a
(slightly scary) revelation. THIS is what an adequately powerful brake feels
like! The hard-stop potential may be what the modulation people are talking
about. For me, modulating my grip strength and awareness of the stopping power
was a quick and effortless process. I live in Minneapolis where curvy mountain
passes are few and far between. Maybe modulation is less of an issue here than
it is for skinny guys who do brevets in the Cascades and have a bias toward
antique bike technology. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I live in a
flatter place, and would put the latest abd greatest hydraulic disc brakes on
all my bikes if it was possible.