I'll add an observation on the "ease of set-up of V-brakes" question.
I've recently converted my Atlantis to V-brakes after several years
with Tektro 720 cantis.  These are quite simple Shimano V-brakes with
the only adjustment being a small screw for spring tension.  While
everything does go together quickly & easily, the final adjustment to
get the pads within 1 mm of the rim per Shimano's instructions is
quite tedious and fiddly.  Granted, my wheels are not new and probably
have at least 1 mm of wobble, but the cantis were a bit more forgiving
in this respect.

In the course of this adventure I did learn how many arm lengths are
available (well, on the various mfgs websites at least), from 80 mm to
107 mm.  Working around rack struts requires a bit of thought,
regardless of the type of brake.

The end result is worth it both from all around better braking and
getting the brakes out of the way.  The rear was interfering with
luggage.

dougP