I too am a big Jan Heine admirer.  He is a very bike smart guy, but he is
confused about two things, not evident in the posted blog.  First, riding
fast and riding far are two different things.  Both can be fun, but as you
combine the two, fewer and fewer people actually enjoy it.  Second, bikes
and components are not necessarily faster or better because they were first
made in France.  I would be happy to put my Ram, with mostly USA made
components, up against any bike costing not more than twice as much on any
two to four hour ride, which is about all that I or most riders actually
enjoy.

michael