I was first introduced to Grant's writings (and Rivendell) last Fall and
really delved into some of his ideas.  I retired my fairly new aluminum
bike and bought another version of the cro-moly bike I had ridden for the
previous 12 years.  I discovered that really wide tires and pull back
handlebars don't work well for my riding style but friction shifting with
thumbies is awesome!  Steel, wider tires, higher handlebars....these all go
without saying.

Even though I found a lot of really good stuff in Grant's philosophies, I
began to realize my own riding needs were substantially different.  That's
when I discovered Jan's writings.  I see Grant as being on the Utilitarian
side of things and Jan on the Performance side, with some overlap between
the two.  I've been thrilled by Jan's research on tires and frames.  I'm a
super clydesdale and likely won't have a bike that performs in a way that
Jan advocates (short of going full custom) but his work on tires in
particular has been very helpful.

I'll never ride a brevet, go bike camping or commute on my bicycle.  My
bike has flat handlebars, a mountain crankset and a tightly spaced road
cassette and it's a perfect match for me.  Grant's and Jan's influences
have been tremendous in getting me there and I see no conflict in their
viewpoints.  Different strokes for different folks....and all that.