I think Jan's got  it right, and will only qualify a definition here. This
isn't a way to agree on the surface while disagreeing behind the scences.
"Performance" depends on what it is you're trying to do on the bike, but
these days it's easy to hear "performance" and think of it only in racer
terms, which means speed. There may be some other nuances to it, but they
all point to speed. That kind of performance is best achieved by lowering
your wind drag, rolling resistance, and weight---obviously going the
opposite direction (except in the case of weight down a hill) won't improve
your performance. But whatever you do in the speed-enhancing arena, the
flesh on the engine is still the main contributor or detractor, and I'd say
it makes the most sense to harp on the metal and rubber only if the flesh
is whittled and toned as much as it can be, or you've just accepted that it
ain't going to get any better, so you'll buy what's buyable.
For somebody who doesn't race, though, "performance" can be defined in so
many other ways--safety, durability, flat-resistance and reliability, and
so on. I will stop here because I don't have much more to say on it, and i
don't want a long paragraph to look like a retort. I mean this only to
clarify what I see as "performance."

Jan is making a HUGE contribution to what I sometimes just think of as "the
groovy spectrum of bicycles." He is calling attention to details, styles,
and tradition that nobody else is, or has done as effectively. He knows
the  past and is futurizing it and making updated versions (the crank, etc)
available now, in forms that were better than the originals, in many cases.
He is educating along the way. If neither Jan nor I had any opinions (and
for my end of that, I'll say that everything I tend to state declaratively
is still an opinion), then we'd both be big bores. Neither of us goes out
of our way to rabble-rouse for its own sake or to draw attention to
ourselves, but that is sometimes the result.

So much for no big paragraphy things, but my parting words are yet another
pat on the back for Jan. It was he who started the ball rolling on 650B. He
got ME interested. RIV was in a position to do something (at the time Jan
wasn't), and so we got the early rims and tires made, and yakked about
'em---but as I've said before but not for a while, it was Jan who kicked it
off. We have far more in common than not, but every now and then there'll
be a stiff versus supple conflict, but it's between tires, not people. Both
work, of course.