We get a fair amount of chip seal around here for reasons already stated.
Fatter tires at lower pressures (see the BQ charts for ideas) are very
comfy on them, especially riding a steel or Ti frame, and surefooted as
well. Cornering on loose stuff is of course always best done with caution
and at a slower speed than usual.

To to OP:  Glad to hear your spirits are up and healing is ongoing.