Or hydraulic brakes... I've been riding both cable and hydraulic disc
brakes for years, and I'm here to tell you, hydraulic Shimano's (the older
style) are the bee's knees... I've never had issues with busted brake lines
or poor performance... They're easy to maintain and super dependable, way
more dependable than rim brakes!  And even the best-adjusted cable-actuated
disc brakes can't come close to the hydraulics.  The price has come way
down on hydraulic brakes... there are few reasons left to go with cable
discs... I've been running them on my mountain bikes for years in all kinds
of rought weather conditions (including ice and snow).  THEY STOP in all
kinds of weather!

I'd love to see a disc version Rivendell...although I fear it would require
a beefier fork (for the forces applied to the lower section of the fork).
 This might be a challenge to make a beefier fork that looks elegant.  Then
again, I'll bet it's possible to preserve the beauty in a disc version..
Wes Williams (for example) makes a beautifully curved 29er disc fork (the
Willits WOW).   I love the look of rim brakes, but performance wise there's
simply no contest between rim and disc brakes.

Peace,
BB