It's certainly true that there's seldom, if ever, a "screaming need for
discs". But we're pretty far down the road past "screaming need" for ANY of
the gadgetry we chat about in this forum. I personally know a number of
people who do not consider worthwhile any bike innovation that isn't
included on a 1950s English 3sp. I've ridden old 3-speeds plenty, and I see
the charm, but occasionally I think the technologies developed over the
ensuing half-century have earned a place in my 21st Century bicycle-centric
life.

IMO, a sturdy, fat-tire Riv with capability to handle BOTH
cantilevers/v-brakes and discs would be a neat thing - sort of a prettier
functional-equivalent to the Surly Troll or Ogre. I think it would broaden
the appeal to potential customers who appreciate Riv's aesthetic stylings
and general approach, but aren't committed to using the same types of parts
mountain bikers were stuck with 25 years ago. Obviously, the true retro
connoisseurs will scoff at the superfluous disc brake tabs they'd never use
in a million years, but the scoffers will be offset by those who'll embrace
the added versatility. I count myself among the "embracers of versatility",
by the way.

I'm not saying disc brakes are 100% necessary at all, but some concession
to modernity and, more importantly, diversity in the product line, would
seem to be a good thing for Riv. Otherwise, it seems like we'll have
another heavy-duty Riv frame that competes for the same seemingly limited
pool of customers who are considering the Atlantis, Hunqapillar, Bombadil,
Hillborne, etc. Something as simple as disc tabs would be a standout among
the excellent, but overlapping frames that are already available, and
would, I think, make a splash among a whole new pool of potential customers.