Its been a while since I was forced to ride in the rain here in Washington
State but I know if I start commuting again I will be stuck in it
eventually and discs do work much better when it is raining hard like it
does here. I don't imagine CA has much rain other than a light sprinkle now
and then. Probably why adopting disc brakes are not a priority.

Some might ask well who in their right mind rides in a downpour anyway? My
answer would be someone in Oregon or Washington on their way home with 15
miles to go and nothing but fir trees to 'wait' under........I really think
regional differences drive some of the decision making. Its why you don't
see many convertible automobiles in Washington and why homes in Arizona
almost always have air conditioning. For the rider who only rides for
pleasure its no big deal but more are using their bicycles to actually
replace an automobile. (off my soapbox now)