Jim, a very thoughtful posting! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I grew up w/ quill stems, but prefer threadless. I have found installation
is incredibly easy. I've never enjoyed tightening threaded headsets, so
threadless have been a pleasure to work with. Also I don't really care for
the tall backwards "7" look of quill stems at saddle height. They look
ungainly to me. It's also a big chunk of angled metal pointing at my crotch
which I don't appreciate for unintended dismounts.

Downsides are 1-1/8 threadless not really looking elegant with road tubing,
and 1" threadless is next to non-existent. Threadless also looks kinda'
silly with 50mm+ of spacers on a poorly designed bike. The strength/lack of
flex isn't really a bonus as I've never noticed a quill stem flexing on me.

So yeah, long/short: I'd like a Taiwanese built budget Riv country bike
(think AHH) w/ threadless and a single top tube for $750 or whatever the
San Marcos goes for. I don't know if there are enough people in that niche
to build one though, or if GP would even want to go after them.

Would be a cool bike though!

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
thill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that quill stems are a niche that Riv fills, more or less
> exclusively, which is no small thing. Obviously, the quill stem has a
> modest-sized but loyal following, and Grant would be smart to keep filling
> this niche, as long as it exists, all by himself.
>
> On the other hand, think about demographics. I'm 35 - most cyclists my age
> or younger have little or no nostalgia for quill stems and threaded
> steerers, and, in fact, may think a quill looks funny or archaic compared
> to more familiar threadless systems. If you're over 50, then you probably
> came of age as a cyclist in the quill stem era, and are not planning to
> change. But if you're over 50, your bike purchases are likely to slow down
> in the next 10-20 years, if they haven't already, while people my age and
> younger are just ramping up the new bike spending. Obviously, this is loose
> speculation, and individual situations vary. But I think it's safe to say
> that the number of people who prefer quill stems, and are willing to pay
> extra to get a frame that takes a quill stem, is shrinking, not
> growing/stabilizing. I have no stats to back this up, just a limited view
> from my own knothole.
>
> Of course, Riv already makes a bunch of frame models that take a quill
> stem. If one frame model out of eight stepped outside the lines a bit, in
> the interest of cutting costs, making the frame sturdier without a double
> top tube, and being more accommodating to a much wider variety of
> contemporary stems, bars, and headsets (more versatility!), I imagine that
> the result would be broader appeal and new customers. That particular model
> with the (for example) disc tabs and 1-1/8" threadless steerer might not be
> the "retro-grouch"  ideal of many on this discussion board, but there are
> lots of other options for the purists. And there's no reason whatsoever
> that such a frame couldn't adhere to underlying principles, like good
> tire/fender clearance, higher handlebars (it can be done with good design
> in a non-ugly way), and, of course, lovely lugged steel with a cool
> paintjob.
>
> I started following Riv when there were basically two models: the heavy
> duty Atlantis, and the lightweight Rambouillet/Romulus/Redwood. It seemed
> easy to distinguish the two, and I had one of each for awhile. I have
> enjoyed seeing the proliferation of new models, but frankly, it starts to
> get a little bewildering to me - imagine how the casual observer must feel
> when trying to make sense of it! The Hillborne was supposed to be a halfway
> compromise of the Atlantis and the Hilsen, I think, but those two models
> weren't altogether dissimilar in terms of tire clearance and general
> capabilities (the Hilsen moniker replaced the Saluki which was billed as
> partway between Atlantis and Rambouillet). The Bombadil is the new
> heavy-duty workhorse offroader (which was the Atlantis role, previously),
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
"The good thing about *science* is that it's *true* whether or not you *
believe* in it." -- *Neil deGrasse Tyson*.