I don't think it's a (/that) Rudge, or necessarily English... I'm
going to just wild guess maybe CCM? Also note the wonderful truss
fork... (and, check out my friend's new ride:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77646587@N00/7954970772 !)

Struts were pretty common among the big Boscos of yore - here's a
great bike I saw up in Toronto a few years ago:
http://bunik.org/bikes/cargo/img_4854.jpg

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA