Thanks for the replies guys. So this is an observation unique to me, not
others?

My saddle position is now fixed after years of experimentation, and then
stems/bars adjusted to that. So I am not moving the saddle.

I typically climb on the ramps or hoods but at times in the drops (one of
the revelations of higher bars- climbing in the hooks!). I climb out the
saddle - 10-20% of the time. Descent hand positions are similarly varied,
most often on the hoods. I don't think I grip the bars differently when I
climb unless its a super hard, short effort.

I just went for a nice dirt ride with my son on flat bar fat bikes with
plenty of climbing. No hand numbness noted. Hmmm....