It usually doesn't get colder than 40 degrees or so and the highs will
usually be in the 50s or low 60s. Depending on your luck it can be
splendidly sunny or cloudy and rainy/misty. I live in Oakland and love
riding in my neighborhood--Skyline/Grizzly Peak/Wildcat/loop through
Orinda/Moraga/Pinehurst. Great views of the San Francisco Bay, redwoods,
fresh air.  Another one of my favorites is Redwood Rd-Palomares-Calaveras
Dam. It's not a loop though. There's camping on Redwood Rd. (Chabot family
campground) and you can go towards Mt. Hamilton from Calaveras or take the
route back on Palomares and branch off towards Rivendell/Mt. Diablo or back
along Redwood Rd. to the Skyline loop mentioned above. If you need a night
off from the elements you are welcome to stay with us and get a roof above
your head.

You'll probably want to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and climb
Conzelman to a breathtaking view of the bridge and San Francisco (in the
Marin Headlands/GGNRA). Hopefully there'll be a day where it won't be
totally fogged out. Like Manuel mentioned, on a day when it's not all cold
and foggy, climbing Mt. Tam is beautiful. Descending Diablo/Hamilton/Tam
can be very cold. I usually wear my outer layer of ski gloves in addition
to a bunch of layers and a wind/rain shell on top. I attached a view from
Conzelman.

Toshi

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Manuel Acosta <manueljohnaco...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Weather wise you'll be fine.It doesn't get really bad here compared to
other
> parts of the country. Our winter is very mild. At worse you deal with rain
> but never freezing cold rain. (maybe only
>
> In terms of rides I like Tam and the Marin Headlands, but in the winter
> you're pretty much just climbing into the fog. Shell Ridge aka Rivendell
> country is always a good one. If you make you way south of the Bay Area
Mt.