I think there is a symbiotic relationship between the growth of cycling and
infrastructure.  Over the past 40 years, the number of cyclists has grown
making municipalities look at including them into the traffic
infrastructure which in turn encourages more to take up cycling, etc, etc.
Here in Kalamazoo, the mayor is an enthusiast, both adjacent cities
(Kalamazoo and Portage)  have created bike lanes wherever they will fit and
the county road commission consults with the local bike club whenever it
considers a change.  When I moved here 20 years ago there was a trail
project which was less than 5 miles long, now it's more than 30, there were
2 bike shops now there are 5.  It continues to grow exponentially.

Marc