From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com [rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of lungimsam [john11.2...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 7:54 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RBW] Relic-ed guitars and Pre-Beausaged Rivendells...

Hello everyone,

You all have been around Riv-culture longer than I. I was wondering what your
opinion is of Rivendell having a custom line of factory relic-ed (beausaged, in
Riv-speak) frames one day. Is there a market for it?

Let me explain:
In the guitar and bass instrument retail world, makers manufacture special
lines of their instruments, called "relic-ed", for high prices.
People seem to lust over these and pay thousands upon thousands for them.
The reliced versions have chipped, worn off paint, down to bare wood; aged
hardware (rusted and oxidized metal parts); and discolored, "aged" plastic
parts. This is done at the factory on a new instrument.
So, you can have a guitar that looks well played and 40 years old, if you think
that looks nice.

Personally, I prefer to do all "relicing" myself to my instruments (and bikes),
through years of lovingly playing (riding) and using them. So I like to buy
new, standard models.

But there is a HUGE market for this in the guitar world.

Is there a market for this in the Rivendell world?
Would you buy a Rivendell, made with dinged paint, environmentally worn
components, gassed gumwalls, and discolored plastic parts, for a more
"artistic" look? Everything functions perfectly, of course.

I wouldn't, as I like leaving my mark on things myself.
Just wondering if you think there is a market for these kind of models.
Pre-Beausaged bikes.

Looks like Brooks has already started doing this with their saddles, as they
have an aged, line, I think.