OCD takes many forms, but I'm with you and DougP. "I certainly hope not."
I like the weathered look, but one of the attractions of a used piece of
good gear is that it's significantly cheaper than a mint version. The idea
of 'brassing' a Leica makes me kind of angry.

Really good question for the list. I think there IS a market for
pre-weathered fine bicycles, but not amongst current Rivendell owners.
Which is nice, because it would expand their market, but it sucks because
we'd be inundated with nouvelles riches and their faux authentique
velocipedes. My friend is an amazing woodworker, and he's spent a fair
amount of time fake-aging pretty furniture he made: drilling little worm
holes, banging, sanding and scuffing, in order to give "authenticity" to
pieces. It's not his choice - his best work is making things from actual
salvaged wood and steel.

People crave authenticity. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Philip
www.biketinker.com