On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 12:46 -0700, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:
> My opinion: The LHT is the best heavy-duty touring/all-rounder bike
> made, at any price. Others are prettier, or have fancier parts, but
> the LHT hits all the function targets as well as anything, and with
> solid parts that are relatively easy to replace or service on the
> road. You shouldn't feel like the LHT is in any way a "downgrade" or a
> "poor man's" anything, except perhaps compared to the classic lugged
> cosmetics of your favorite Riv.
>
> As for sizing, I'd suggest following Riv's guideline for sizing the
> Atlantis, then go one size smaller for the LHT. While it's often
> advisable to go as big as possible with a quill-stem bike, I suggest
> erring on the smaller side with a bike with a threadless steerer like
> the LHT (leave the steerer long, initially).

Why?  I truly don't understand.

Getting a smaller size frame means for the same handlebar position you
will have to have more steerer exposed, and not only is there only so
much steerer available, but also there are limits (both structural and
aesthetic) as to how much steerer you can or should have exposed.

I should think getting the smaller of the two frames would be preferred
only if you are looking for a lower handlebar position, and the head
tube on the larger frame would limit how low you could go -- and in that
case, I believe some have suggested taking a saw to the head tube,
especially if it has an extension.