On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 19:14 -0700, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:
> Steve P: all LHT steelers are the same length. This means you can get the
> bars at the same height on a 56 cm as you can on a 64 cm. As you mentioned,
> the exposed steerer and spacer stack is the difference. With a quill stem,
> you can get the bars higher on a larger frame, which is one reason why Riv
> suggests larger frame sizes.

So with LHT steerers, the only limitation on exposed steerer length is
aesthetic?

> But let's say you're between two LHT sizes. Most people want the bars closer,
> not farther. If you go slightly smaller on the frame size, you can put on a
> slightly longer stem if needed. If you have a big frame and a short stem, you
> can't necessarily go shorter. Again, bar height doesn't vary between frame
> sizes.
>
> Also, the way frames are measured varies between Riv and Surly. A 58 Atlantis
> is closer to a 56 LHT than it is to a 58 LHT, for example.

In other words, top tube length.  OK, how are LHT top tubes sized?  I'm
confident the expectation with that bike is drop bars, which would lead
to a shorter top tube than might be the case with a bike intended to be
used with porteur bars, such as many of the Rivendells and the Kogswell
P/R.