On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Rex Kerr <rexk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, is there some easy technique that I never learned in my childhood years
> when I last used platform pedals [...]

I just stop with my pedal foot (right, for me) at 2 o'clock, ready for
takeoff. Just use the brakes like you were about to start a trackstand
(I still can't do one!), and put the off foot down. Easily mastered
mini-trick.

> must I just get accustomed to using my
> toe to re-position the pedal, regardless of how long that takes?

How long does it take you? When I get stopped out of position, I just
lift up with a toe, step on it, and I'm off. It's rare I see a
clipless rider take any less time to clip in and get moving.

It is a little ironic how important the shoes are to happy clip-free
riding. You still have to match shoe to pedal, to some extent.

Best,
joe broach
portland, or