As a recent convert back to platforms I suffered with the same issue. After
about a month of picking my pedal up with my toe I realized that if I came
to a stop a little further forward than I wanted to be and then rolled the
bike back with my foot on the lead off pedal it would be in the right
position.

your milage my vary