> On Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:29:40 PM UTC-7, gep7...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>  It is that only if you regard helmets as totally safe and ignore any
>> tendency to take more risks when wearing one.
>
>On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Brewster Fong <bfd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard this statement beforea and am unclear as to kind of "risk"  these
> riders are taking - i.e., ride faster than allowed, run thru stop
> signs/lights, weave between cars in traffic, making "daredevil" type moves
> like jumping off cliffs, walls, barriers, or what?

Brewster, I guess I rationalize it the other way around. In my sample
of one, I ride more carefully the (10%?) of the time I don't wear my
helmet. Specifically, I ride more slowly on quieter streets, leave
more escape room, and rarely ride in the dark or rain without a
helmet. Out of the city, I pretty much only ditch the helmet for
climbs, and if I do descend, I don't push it. It may be unsupportable,
but it's the internal bargain I've made with myself.

Best,
joe broach
portland, or