To yank this thread into the really weird: years ago I saw a
description and photo of a -- what to call it? Derailleur multispeed
non-coasting drivetrain? You couldn't call it fixed since it involved
no fixed cog, only freewheels. I've been tempted to build one just for
the over-the-top weirdness of it: on the level of that famous "Polish
straight block and do we mean straight block freewheel".

IIRC, this was a standard, multispeed drivetrain on the right with two
rings and as many cogs as you like, but with an added single ring and
single cog reverse freewheel -- ie, it freewheeled as the pedals were
rotated forward -- on the left. Since the right cogset was
freewheeling, you could shift gears as usual, but the left
drivetrain/freewheel prevented you from coasting because forward
motion activated this drivetrain.

The relevant point: I always suspected that, if you backed off
pedaling in a high gear, that the pedals would immediately start
spinning madly if the ratio of the left drivetrain was very low.

--
Vote early, vote often, vote Rhinoceros!
http://tinyurl.com/d7muj2t