On Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:42:54 PM UTC-7, Ron Mc wrote:

> It does sound strange to call 25 wider, but my buddy just rebuilt his
> 27-y-o Mercian into upright, and while he can fit a 28 commuter tire on the
> rear with no worries, he's having problems with 25 a commuter tire on the
> front.  If he gets anywhere near the recommended pressure, the bulge from
> his weight pushes the tire into the brake caliper.  But clearly this frame
> was built as a road racer and not a touring frame.  I let him get in front
> at the end of a ride last weekend, though, and he was pacing us  @ 24 mph
> for 13 miles.

I've been riding 700x25 tires for the last 7 or 8 years. When I first
started, most of my friends were on 20s and 23s. I usually run my 25s @
85-90psi; my friends' tires varied from 100-130psi!  They all use to laugh
at me as you could actually see a size difference - my tires were
noticeably fatter. Now, things have changed, most have given up 20s and
many have gone to 25s. My "advantage" is pretty much gone. Maybe its time
to try 28s....which basically isn't going to happen as my carbon fork won't
allow anything fatter than 25s...Good Luck!