Interesting question.

I've been doing my own wrenching for many years and chain length (on
derailer bikes) is one of those things that's always been eluded me. My
experience is that there seems to be some "wiggle room". I tend to error on
making the chain as short as possible so that everything still works, but
adding a link or 2 often still works fine too. I haven't read Sheldon's
spiel on the subject.

--Andy