Jay:

That does seem a bit odd, especially if by "trade" you mean "swap my X for
your Y".  OTH, if currency is involved, much of the rest of the world is
way ahead of the US in currency conversion.  Going to a US bank with
anything other than Yankee bucks gets some pretty strange responses.
That's the only reason I can come up with, and it's not valid if your
transactions are in USD.  Don't let our provincial attitudes get you down.

dougP