On Sunday, December 9, 2012 2:45:59 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:

> My LBS mechanic said he doesn't think cracks are just specific
>> to Velocity/Synergy. He says he has seen cracks elsewhere, including his
>> Mavic rim that cracked when he went to true it up.

Rims cracking at the spoke hole have been around for a long time. Jobst
Brandt use to complain about them back in the late 80s/early 90s. He did an
analysis and blamed it on hard anodizing. The old Mavic MA40 was very
susceptible. In contrast, polished MA2 rarely cracked. In fact, Jobst wrote
a Bicycle FAQ on it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/anodized-rims.html

Cracking can also occurred when rims are overtensioned and probably not
properly stressed relieved. I had this happened on a Ritchey OCR rear rim.
Yes, the rim was anodized, but it had probably less than 1000 miles on it.
I think the builder overtensioned the rim and it caused cracking at the
spoke holes.