I have used GripKings exclusively for a few years now, but I am tiring
of the frequent bearing maintenance needed for them. I think if they
had sealed cartridge bearings and metal dustcaps they'd be the perfect
pedal, but that's not the case.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the "Thin Gripster" (VP
Components) pedals that Riv sells, but the only problem is I don't do
pedals with studs because they tear up my Birks and other shoes. I am
thinking of taking the studs out and gluing on carefully cut pieces of
skateboard grip tape or some other grippy material. Anybody have
experience doing something like this?

Also, does anybody who has these think they would grip OK with no
studs and without modification?

I'm sad that the GK's aren't totally perfect, and I hope MKS will
someday tune them up with more reliable construction.