Re: chainline.

You normally try to center the middle ring on the cogset when you run a
triple.  so with a 9 speed cassette, you'd line up the middle chainring
with cog #5

If your 24/40/chainguard setup is going to be ridden as a 1x9 plus granny
(as most people do), then leaving your BB alone is actually precisely the
right thing to do.  Center that 40 on the #5 cog and all nine are available
to you.  The only no-no gears are the 2 or 3 small cogs when you are in the
small chainring, gears that nobody needs anyway.  This is one of the cases
where doing it the easy way and doing it the right way might be the same
thing!  :-)