Jim, based on my experience, you are right on the money.  When I got out to
Colorado and wanted someone to just look over my 1971 Schwinn SS, no one in
boulder would even touch it, and only one shop in Denver would.  That
particular shop (CycleAnalyst) had an experienced mechanic that did a nice
job of getting the bike safe again.  But it wasn't easy.  And I wasn't
trying to "update" it.

jim in Boulder