So, my naive question this week is: why do so many frames bear the scars of
chain suck?  I make no boasts about my own riding, none at all, in terms of
distance, longevity, or rigor. but I can't think of more than a couple of
times I've ever thrown a chain.  What causes the chain suck?
 Over-shifting? (missing a gear or two or three)  Shifting hard on a climb?
 Is this an issue that has gone away for those riding with indexed
shifting, and so more of an issue with friction-shifters?  Really just
wondering.  If this question is too dumb for words, you can reply off-line:
tgoodmann-at-gmail, etc.