Well this is a really interesting topic, and for what it’s worth and due
respect towards Peter M’s comment to end this topic and Jim who makes
decisions on whether a topic continues, I think its fine to have off topic
discussions (as long as they stay civil) though I think this talk of diet
is very relevant to cycling what you put in fuels you. This is a group of
Rivendell owners but first and foremost we are a group of cyclists who
appreciate sensible logic applied to the design of comfortable pedal
powered transportation it just goes to reason that this also applies to
other aspects revolving around our core fascination.

Next, I am impressed by the vast knowledge of all the posters on this
subject and am humbled as I in no way have such breath of knowledge like
grant on the evolution of Homo Sapiens (quite an interesting subject
though) that said I’d like to throw my two cents in.

 IMHO as cyclists we tend to be more acute to what we ingest, I for
instance as I’ve aged have developed a sense of what feels good to eat and
what doesn’t; as Peter M. states when I eat sugar and breads I feel a
general un-wellness, oh darn all this thinking of diet has made me hungry
gonna go make some eggs with beef sausage kale and other veggies…

Okay full and feeling good. Okay where was I …right when I eat a small
(emphasis here) portion of meat, sweet potatoes and greens I feel great!
Jim Thill made a point “At the very least, it seems obvious that there are
different types of people. Some eat a bread/pasta-based diet and stay
skinny and live a long healthy life. I'm not one of those” continuing with
this thinking some people can live over a hundred years like these
Georgians (I could be wrong about the exact geographic location certainly I
remember one of the regions of the old Soviet Union) they smoke and drink
Vodka religiously bath in ice cold water and have a really long life span
or how about the Okinawan’s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet

These people also work like crazy well into their 90’s and beyond, the
concept of retirement I don’t think exists for themJ

I have a chronic Kidney disease called IGA Nephropathy (diagnosed at 38)
and am supposed to limit my animal protein to no more than 7oz per day. I
submit this as an example of why diet is individual based and leads me to
another point about human evolution we live longer now because of better
hygiene and modern western medicines. The progress in medicine has allowed
us to beat many of the odds our ancestors just couldn’t, yes many of the
diseases we suffer from as a modern society such as diabetes and obesity(
many ramifications statistically) are caused by a diet rich in processed
foods and sugar and could be eliminated by a proper diet. Yet as we have
lived longer we are seeing diseases populate as our bodies can no longer
make the necessary repairs. (This link is interesting)

http://www.ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging.html

Again modern medicine steps in to manage these prolonging our lives. Our
Bronze Age ancestor’s average life expectancy was 26 and the world life
expectancy at the early 20th century was 31. I believe it was 48 in the
United States at the turn of the century. The point is what our ancestor’s
ate was what was available and they died comparatively young and there is
no way to determine had our most recent ancestor’s eaten a better diet they
would have lived longer, perhaps just felt a heck of a lot better while
they lived.

I never meant to go on but this topic has captivated my thoughts and caused
me to look closely at my own diet ( I love a good Tuscan bread toasted with
butter yummy in moderation ) Perhaps riding my bicycle allows me to
indulge. Food for thought (pun intended).

Hugh

Sunland, CA

(High of 91 degrees) Global warming? Sorry that’s for another topicJ