This is a good point. I only recently picked up my first singlespeed
(that's built and actually being ridden), a Dahon folder, and I'm a little
shocked how not-a big-deal it is to be in one gear over varied elevations.
It's already transformed the way I ride my derailer bikes, which I had
clearly been over-shifting.